Language Translation Disclaimer: With a few exceptions, the DeKalb County Public Library website has been translated using machine translation software powered by Google Translate. Reasonable efforts have been made to provide an accurate translation. However, automated translation is not perfect and is not intended to replace human translators. The official text is the English version of the website. If any questions arise related to the accuracy of the information contained in the translated website, please refer to the English version.
||Select your language here.|
What is the difference between a bookstore and a library?
They may seem alike, but there’s a big difference. Bookstores sell you books, magazines, DVDs, and CDs. Libraries lend you books, magazines, DVDs and CDs for free as long as you bring it back on time. You can take the materials home, and we will let you know when to return them.
Libraries offer you free services and programs including:
- English as a Second Language and Citizenship classes and other literacy resources
- Free internet use
- Books, magazines, DVDs, CDs, and electronic resources including English as a Second Language subject guides
- Programs for children and families
- And much more!
All you need is a free library card!
Get A Card
Have access to more than one million books, audiovisual materials, electronic resources, newspapers, magazines and other educational and recreational resources through 22 branches and remote computer access.
Library cards are free and valid for two years for:
- DeKalb County residents
- DeKalb County property owners
- Employees of DeKalb County Government, DeKalb County School System, City Schools of Decatur or City Governments within DeKalb County.
- College students who live on campus in DeKalb County during the academic year
- Library school students
- Business owners in DeKalb County
- Residents of group homes, extended stay motels and shelters located in DeKalb County
If none of the above conditions apply:
- A Non-Resident library card valid for one year can be purchased for $45.00.
- Temporary residents of DeKalb County may apply for a card by paying a $15.00 refundable deposit. Temporary cards are valid for 6 months.
Visit your local library branch to apply for a card in person, or pre-register online. You may also print out a Library Application Form in English or en español and fill it out before you come to the library branch in person. You will be asked to show acceptable ID.
Acceptable ID :
- picture ID with your current address
- picture ID without current address if accompanied by a recent utility bill, rental receipt, lease, DeKalb County property tax receipt, current car insurance card, voter registration card or printed checks
- County, city and school employees must present ID verifying current employment
- Property owners must present evidence of ownership or be identified as the owner in the County's online property tax database.
- Business owners must present photo ID and a current DeKalb County business license showing that the business is located in DeKalb County.
You should present your own library card each time you check out materials or access the Internet through Library computers. The responsibility for all materials checked out, and any financial obligations incurred for overdue, lost or damaged materials belongs to you as cardholder. Do not loan your card to others.
Report a Lost or Stolen Card and Get a Replacement
Please report a lost or stolen library card to any branch library as soon as possible. You are responsible for all items checked out on your card until you have reported it lost. The Library charges $1.00 to replace a lost card.