Wireless hotspots are portable, rechargeable devices that allow you to connect your own laptops, smartphones, and tablets to the internet for free, whether you're at home or on the road. Hotspots can be borrowed for 21 days and are available to DeKalb County Public Library cardholders ages 18 and older. Click here or call a branch to check availability. For a list of locations where hotspots are available, please visit this page.
Patrons access the internet at their own discretion. Although many valuable sources of information are available via the internet, the Library can neither verify the accuracy nor control the content of material found. Patrons may find that some websites contain material they consider offensive or inappropriate. Parents and/or guardians are strongly encouraged to monitor their minor children's use of electronic resources, including electronic mail, and to establish guidelines consistent with personal and individual family values and boundaries.
Furthermore, while using a library hotspot, understand that:
- Use of the library hotspot for illegal purposes is expressly forbidden, in accordance with applicable legal statutes.
- Use of the hotspot to access material that is obscene as defined under Georgia law (O.C.G.A. 16-12-80), child pornography as defined under federal or state law (18 U.S.C. 2256; O.C.G.A. 16-12-100), and material that is “harmful to minors” as defined under Georgia law (O.C.G.A. 16-12-102) is not allowed.
- DeKalb County Public Library is not responsible for any liability, damages or expenses resulting from use or misuse of a library hotspot, connection of the hotspot to other electronic devices, or data loss resulting from use of a library hotspot.
- DeKalb County Public Library is not responsible for the breach or interception of confidential information resulting from the malicious activity of another internet user.
- The internet contains images and content that may be offensive or harmful to some. DeKalb County Public Library is released from all liabilities associated with the viewing, use, or exposure to any images and content patrons may encounter while using this wireless connection.
- Patrons create, use and store personal data, including all files, folders and media, on their own computer or other device at their own risk. DeKalb County Public Library is not responsible for the loss of any personal data, including all files, folders and media.
- Reconfiguring the hotspot is not allowed.
- Patrons must return the hotspot to the public service desk where it was checked out. Patrons may not return the hotspot in the bookdrop or to another branch.
- Hotspots are not eligible for renewals or hold requests.
- Patrons will be asked to complete a survey when the hotspot is returned.
- If a patron loses or damages the hotspot, the replacement cost will be $36.00 with an additional $6.00 processing fee. If a hotspot is returned without the following pieces, the patron will be charged the corresponding replacement fees. Case: $35.00. Charger: 20.00. Barcode: $2.00. Clip: $1.00. The total charged for an unreturned hotspot and all attached pieces will be $100.
- The late fee is $1.00 a day with a maximum late fee of $7.50. Service to the hotspot will be deactivated when it becomes overdue. Collection fees may also be applied if the hotspot is not returned.
The wireless hotspots are supported with funds from the DeKalb Library Foundation.