Wireless hotspots are portable, rechargeable devices that allow you to connect your own laptops, smartphones, and tablets to the internet for free, whether you’re at home or on the road. Hotspots can be borrowed for 21 days and are available to DeKalb County Public Library cardholders ages 18 and older. Browse our library catalog or call a branch to check availability. Need a rundown on how to use a hotspot? Watch a short video.
Patrons access the internet at their own discretion. Although many valuable sources of information are available via the internet, the Library can neither verify the accuracy nor control the content of material found. Patrons may find that some websites contain material they consider offensive or inappropriate. Parents and/or guardians are strongly encouraged to monitor their minor children’s use of electronic resources, including email, and to establish guidelines consistent with personal and individual family values and boundaries.
Users must sign a Hotspot Statement of Responsibility at checkout, which states the following:
By signing this, I agree that:
● I am at least 18 years old.
● I am responsible for the hotspot I have checked out, and I will not reconfigure or damage it.
● I will return the hotspot to staff inside the branch where I checked it out. I will not return the hotspot in the bookdrop or to another branch. I will not check out a hotspot on the same day that I return one.
● I understand a hotspot cannot be renewed.
● I understand the hotspot will no longer work when it becomes overdue.
● I will be billed if the hotspot is not returned within 7 days of the due date.
● I will be charged a deactivation fee if the hotspot has to be disconnected after it is long overdue.
● I will pay to replace the hotspot, including its pieces, if I damage or do not return it. The replacement cost may be up to $135. Deactivation and collection fees may also be charged.
● I will follow the Library’s Internet Use Policy and Guidelines for Computers found at dekalblibrary.org.
The library is not responsible for any damages or losses that occur while using the hotspot.
If I violate these agreements or if I use the hotspot for illegal purposes, I will lose my library privileges and could be held legally and financially responsible.
Wireless hotspots are supported with funds from the DeKalb Library Foundation.