Work at DCPL
The following Library positions are currently open through the DeKalb County Human Resources Department:
- No current openings
DeKalb County Government is currently under a Hiring Freeze. Only critically needed positions, authorized by the Chief Executive Officer, will be exempted from this freeze.
All applications for positions with DeKalb County Public Library must be submitted to the DeKalb County Human Resources Department. DeKalb County is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, sex, age, national origin, religion, sexual orientation or physical/mental disability (except when physical/mental requirements constitute a bona fide occupational qualification).
DeKalb County Public Library participates in the federal E-Verify program work authorization program. DeKalb County Public Library registered with E-Verify on March 31, 2010 and our Employer Identification Number is 315798.
DCPL offers a generous benefits package which is competitive with public libraries across the nation:
- Leave — All full-time employees of DCPL receive at least 15 days of paid leave a year, with the amount of leave increasing as years of service increase. Benefits also include 10 days of holiday leave each year and ample sick leave benefits. Part-time workers accrue leave at one-half the rate of full-time employees.
- Health — Employees have the option of enrolling in a health insurance plan offered by a traditional provider or by a Health Maintenance Organization (HMO). These plans are available to employees and their dependents. DeKalb County pays 70% of the monthly premium.
- Basic Life Insurance and AD&D — Life insurance and Accidental Death and Dismemberment insurance also are available for employees, their spouses and children. Coverage is available to employees at an amount of 2.25 times their annual salary, with DeKalb County paying 70% of the monthly premiums. The maximum amount of coverage available for dependents is $5000.
- Optional Life Insurance and AD&D — Optional life insurance is available for full-time employees seeking additional coverage beyond the basic plan. The employee pays 100% of the premium. The optional term-life plan also includes Accidental Death and Dismemberment coverage.
- Short-Term Disability Insurance — Income protection is offered through Colonial Life. The employee pays 100% of the premium.
- Personal Accident Indemnity Plan — Accident only insurance is available to employees through AFLAC. The employee pays 100% of the premium for this optional coverage.
- Flexible Spending Accounts — Employees may set aside part of their earnings each pay period to cover some health and dependent care expenses not covered by other insurance. However, what is not used is forfeited at the end of the calendar year.
- Workers' Compensation — Provides coverage for medical expenses for on-the-job injuries to the employee.
- Direct Deposit — The County offers employees the option of direct deposit for their payroll checks.
- Pension Plan — Most employees are enrolled in the Teachers Retirement System of Georgia. Employees contribute 6% percent from their gross pay. Employees become vested in the program after ten years. Others participate in the DeKalb County Pension Plan.
- Deferred Compensation — DeKalb County offers pre-tax retirement savings through a 457 plan with various investment options.
Professional Growth and Development
DCPL believes its employees are its most valuable resource and encourages their professional growth and development. The Library offers a number of programs and incentives:
- Employee Educational Reimbursement Program — The Library offers tuition reimbursement to full and part-time permanent merit employees pursuing a graduate degree in library or information science from an American Library Association-accredited university. This program is funded by the DeKalb Library Foundation.
- Mentoring Program - The Library operates a formal mentoring program which allows employees to share with colleagues information about their areas of expertise and professional interests.
- Library Information for Support Staff (LISS) — LISS is a unique service organization for library support staff which plans training programs and addresses interests and concerns of support workers.
- Special Recognition Programs — Programs such as our Employee of the Quarter and Employee of the Year Awards recognize outstanding library service.
- Staff Development Day (SDD) — SDD is an annual, day-long training event that includes professional and personal enrichment programs for all employees. The event includes nationally-renowned guest speakers and opportunities to network and exchange information and ideas with colleagues from throughout the system.
Continuous staff training and development opportunities are available to all library employees, including in-house and county programs and local, state, and national workshops and conferences. Library employees also are encouraged to participate in local, state, and national professional organizations to exchange information and represent the library. Financial assistance is provided to support participation in professional meetings and conferences.