Get A Card
Notice: Although our branches are temporarily closed, you can still get a digital library card that grants you access to all of our resources. Click this link to get your digital card today!
The Library has more than one million books, audiovisual materials, electronic resources, newspapers, magazines and other educational and recreational resources through 22 branches and remote computer access.
Library cards are free and valid for two years for:
- DeKalb County residents
- DeKalb County property owners
- Employees of DeKalb County Government, DeKalb County School System, City Schools of Decatur or City Governments within DeKalb County.
- College students who live on campus in DeKalb County during the academic year
- Library school students
- Business owners in DeKalb County
Library cards are also free for residents of group homes, extended stay motels and shelters located in DeKalb County. These cards are valid for more than one month to a maximum of six months.
If none of the above conditions apply:
- A Non-Resident library card valid for one year can be purchased for $35.00. Temporary residents of DeKalb County may apply for a card. Visit branch for details.
Visit your local library branch to apply for a card. You will be asked to show acceptable ID. You may also apply online to gain instant access to our online resources.
Acceptable ID :
- picture ID with your current address
- picture ID without current address if accompanied by a recent utility bill, rental receipt, lease, DeKalb County property tax receipt, current car insurance card, voter registration card or printed checks
- County, city and school employees must present ID verifying current employment
- Property owners must present photo ID and evidence of ownership or be identified as the owner in the County's online property tax database.
- Business owners must present photo ID and a current DeKalb County business license showing that the business is located in DeKalb County.
You should present your own library card each time you check out materials or access the Internet through library computers. The responsibility for all materials checked out, and any financial obligations incurred for overdue, lost or damaged materials belongs to you as cardholder. Do not loan your card to others.
On rare occasions when you may not have your card with you, staff can access your library account if you present an ID.
Library cards are renewed and patron address verified every two years. Visit any DCPL branch with the library card (physical card or digital wallet version), current ID, and proof of current address (if it is not on ID).
Report a Lost or Stolen Card and Get a Replacement
Please report a lost or stolen library card to any branch library as soon as possible. You are responsible for all items checked out on your card until you have reported it lost.