Build a Better World
May 27—July 31
Build a Better World is for teens ages 13 to 17. Teens can pick up a reading log at any DeKalb County Public Library or sign up online and earn raffle tickets for hours read and/or literacy activities completed. There is no limit to the number of raffle tickets earned.
- Watch a movie based on a book
- Attend a library program
- Make a recipe from a cookbook
- Visit a local museum
- Read aloud to another person
- Listen to an audiobook (1 hour listening = one activity)
- Attend a poetry slam or reading
- Play a board game
- Get a library card
- Attend a play
- Tell a friend about the Vacation Reading Program for teens (1 Friend = 1 Activity)
- Review a book, CD, game or movie and turn it in to your local library
- Write a poem, short story, play or lyrics
- Play a video game
- Write in a diary or journal
- Like the DeKalb County Public Library Facebook Page
- Visit the DeKalb County Public Library Teen Page
- Post a picture of yourself reading or at a library event on Instagram with the hashtag #SRPatDCPL
Prizes: Raffle ticket prizes include but are not limited to two Kindle Fire HDs or gift cards.
The Atlanta Braves will again join with Georgia Public Library Service and DeKalb County Public Library to offer the “Home Run Readers” program, which allows children to earn certificates — and free game tickets — by reading and participating in online writing activities. Students in kindergarten through 12th grade who sign up for the Summer Reading Program will receive a Braves bookmark. Follow the instructions on the bookmark to receive free tickets to a Braves game.
Atlanta Gladiators Hat Trick for Reading Challenge
To encourage children to continue to read during the summer, the Atlanta Gladiators in partnership with the Georgia Public Library Service has revamped the Hat Trick for Reading Challenge. Children in grades K thru 12 who read three books can get a free ticket to an Atlanta Gladiators hockey game. Go to atlantagladiators.com/hattrick for more details.
Co-sponsored by Georgia Public Library Service and the Atlanta Hawks, the Check-It-Out Reading Challenge will award Hawks basketball tickets to young readers who participate in the challenge. Students in kindergarten through 12th grade who sign up for the Summer Reading Program will receive a Hawks bookmark. Follow the instructions on the bookmark to receive free tickets to a Hawks game.
Free eBooks from myON
Through a partnership between the GET GEORGIA READING campaign, Georgia students have unlimited access to free eBooks 24 hours a day — every day — through August 31, 2017. To access the myOn collection, go to www.myOn.com
- Click the "Log in Now" button and enter the following information:
- School Name: Get Georgia Reading, Georgia Campain for Grade Level Reading (Begin typing the first few letters and select from the drop-down menu.)
- User Name: dekalbcounty
- Password: read
- Click the "Sign In" button, select a book and start reading. Enjoy anywhere, anytime access!
2017 Summer Reading Program partners include the Georgia Public Library Service, DeKalb Library Foundation, Alliance Theatre, AMC North DeKalb Mall, Atlanta Botanical Garden, Atlanta Gladiators, Atlanta Braves, Atlanta Hawks, Atlanta History Museum, Atlanta Symphony Orchestra, Broadway Atlanta, Center for Puppetry Arts, Chick-fil-A/Turner Hill Road, Gamers Xperience, Georgia Aquarium, Grub Burger Bar, High Museum of Art, Horizon Theatre, Medieval Times, Michael C. Carlos Museum, Nordson Corporation Foundation, SkyView Atlanta, Southeastern Railway Museum, Pirate's Cove Put-Put Golf, Stars and Strikes, Stone Mountain Park, TECH CORPS, Zoo Atlanta.
The Summer Reading Program is supported in whole or in part by the Institute of Museum and Library Services under the provisions of the Library Services and Technology Act, as administered by Georgia Public Library Service.
The Collaborative Summer Library Program (CSLP) art/graphics are copyrighted by Upstart for exclusive use by CSLP members and are used by permission. Copying or reproducing these CSLP art/graphics in any way by non-CSLP members is prohibited.
Sign Up Online
Sign up here for an account. Once you have an account, you can log your hours online. Just fill out this form: